Tuesday

Johasson's Bar Parkette


            The Johansson Bar is located on Glendale Avenue by the entrance to the Sobey’s parking lot. The tool is an example of the type of devices needed to build parts of the old Welland canal(s) and the Queenston Monument in Niagara Falls. The bar was used to lift and lower the large slabs of stone used in the building of each lock’s walls (there was even a local settlement named Slabtown). It was used sometime between 1842 and 1845 and has been on display since 1983 after the Walker Brothers Quarries Ltd. donated the bar to the Merritton Community.

            The St.Catharines’ Green Committee's has a plan for the Bar to be moved closer to the sidewalk near Glendale Avenue (the first phase of the project). This phase includes moving the Bar, constructing a parkette where the Bar will be displayed along with stone bench seating; deciduous and coniferous trees; and numerous shrubs and perennials. Additionally the previous area where the Bar was located (currently gravel parking to the west of Sobey’s patron parking lot) will be restored to a park-like setting with trees and grass.

            The second phase of the project (dependant on fundraising but with a desired completion date within the next year or two) would involve constructing a walkway in the middle of the park running north to south in the direction of the old canal Lock 14 (which is buried underneath the park).

            The last phase of the project (again dependant on fundraising but with a desired completion date within the next year or two) is greatly advocated for by Regional Councillor Bruce Timms and canal advocate Rene Ressler. This phase involves upgrading the site west of the Sobeys building using the model of what has been done at Thorold’s Beaverdams Park. This phase basically means clearing and excavating 18 to 24 inches from the top layer of stone and leaving grass cover as the thing to maintain in the area. Then having a sign board placed close to Sobey’s driveway and a smart phone App explaining the Lock including the larger context of the Lybster Mill, The Keg and Mountain Locks Park.

            It must be reiterated, that the project will only be completed with financial contributions from the community at large (in partnership with the St.Catharines’ Green Committee). The cost of the project is approximately $77,500. So far the Green Committee has committed $30,493 to the project and the St.Catharines Horticultural Society has contributed $2,000 (with plans to contribute more after their annual plant sale next month at Bill Burgoyne arena - so please support them!) Should anyone else wish to contribute you can contact Green Committee Co-Chair Dave Haywood at: davehaywood@merritton.com or Kristen Sullivan, Project & Development Planner - City of St. Catharines’ Recreation & Community Services, at 905-688-5601 (ext. 3145) or email her at  ksullivan@stcatharines.ca.

 The Green Committee would be grateful if people considered the following individual items for sponsorship:                      

Engraved Pavers:                $250   (Estimate - needs to be confirmed selection of pavers)

Trees (with plaque):            $400  

Bench (with plaque):            $1,750   (As seen at the Old Courthouse, located beside Market Square)

 ADDITIONAL Notes:          

           Monetary donations over $250 in either goods, labour or funds will be recognized on a donor plaque or the individual item (i.e. tree, bench, etc.)     

          Individuals or businesses who wish to make monetary contributions may direct their donations to the "City of St. Catharines", and indicate on the Memo line "Johansson Parkette". Please direct cheques to P.O. Box 3012, 20 Geneva St. St Catharines, Ontario, L2R7C2, Attn: Green           Committee.   

          Tax receipts will be issued.                  

 For further information, please contact: Kristen Sullivan
 
 
 Article by:

David Haywood, Co-Chair -St.Catharines Green Committee

No comments:

Post a Comment